SAVE THE DATE
Published: 29 May 2018
Continuing Professional Development Course:
Climate Response and Sustainable Urban Development in Africa
(03 – 06 September 2018).
The course is organized by the Covenant of Mayors in Sub Saharan Africa (CoM Africa) Initiative, which supports African cities with capacity building and the development of Sustainable Energy Access Climate Action Planning and implementation.
Providing a city peer-to-peer exchange and learning platform on access to energy, adaptation and mitigation in Sub-Saharan Africa :
• Initiate a climate and sustainable energy strategy at municipal level and identify potential response actions
• Greenhouse Gas emissions : From data collection to baseline Emission Inventory methods
• Understand adaptation issues within municipal boundaries, from vulnerability assessment to action plans
• Develop an energy access plan and explore avenues for implementation
• Implement a sustainable urban development project
The course will include traditional ‘lecture style’ input, as well as modular workshops, group exercises, ‘hands on’ training in energy futures modelling, and field trips. The intention is to build on the practical experience in the sub-continent and internationally, and participants will be encouraged to engage in discussion and sharing of ‘own’ experience.
Who should attend?
The course will be of benefit to all who are concerned with the energy and sustainable urban development. This will include:
• National, Provincial and Local government officials, politicians and policy makers
• Academics, researchers and students involved in energy and sustainable urban development
• Project implementers working on energy, planning and environmental issues
• Relevant NGO and CBO staff