The Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA) is proud to present this resource to support local governments in Africa to develop their Sustainable Energy Access and Climate Action Plan (SEACAP).
Click below to download the overview document with links to access the individual modules or scroll down to find the individual links.
Known as the CoM SSA SEACAP Toolbox, this resource is developed by ICLEI Africa in partnership with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and launched on 5 November 2020. This document provides an overview of the contents of the SEACAP Toolbox in order to allow local governments and partners to easily navigate the toolbox.
The CoM SSA SEACAP Toolbox compliments the existing SEACAP Guidebook and provides an easy-to-use step-by-step series of presentations for each of the three pillars of a SEACAP, namely Energy Access, Mitigation, and Adaptation. Please note that this Toolbox is regularly updated and a French version will be available early next year.
The CoM SSA SEACAP Toolbox
The CoM SSA SEACAP Toolbox is a hands-on tool designed to support local governments to implement the recommendations in the SEACAP guidebook. It is designed as is a series of slide presentations that includes the content for each SEACAP pillar, while also unpacking a number processes and methodologies for achieving the different SEACAP steps. Additionally, the CoM SSA SEACAP Toolbox includes a number of guided exercises that can be used when facilitating a training on the Toolbox. In this way, the CoM SSA SEACAP Toolbox provides an interactive guide to each step in developing a SEACAP. To assist those using the slide presentations, notes have been provided as comments on each slide that provide further detail on the slide contents, where necessary.
The CoM SSA SEACAP Toolbox is divided in to four modules, each including a number of chapters.
Click on the name of the module to download the PDF files.
Module 1: Setting the scene
- 1.1 Climate change and cities in Africa
- 1.2.1 Introduction to CoMSSA
- 1.2.2 SEACAP Process
- 1.3 Terminology Game
- 1.3.1 Terminology Game Guide
- 1.3.3 Terminology Game Categorised Cards
Module 2: Climate Mitigation Pillar
- 2.1 Introduction to Mitigation Pillar
- 2.2 Greenhouse Gas Inventories
- 2.3 Use of Proxy Data for Greenhouse Gas Inventories
- 2.4 Analysis framework: the Global Protocol for Community-Scale Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories (GPC)
- 2.5 Introduction to CIRIS, the GHG emissions inventory tool
- 2.6 Introduction to Energy Modelling
- 2.7 Setting Mitigation Targets
- 2.8 JRC Reporting Template: Mitigation
Module 3: Energy Access Pillar
- 3.1 Introducing the Energy Access Pillar
- 3.2 SEACAP Planning: Phase 2.1: Energy Access Data Collection
- 3.2.1 A Guide for Energy Access Field Data Collection
- 3.3 Access to energy target setting and action planning
- 3.4 JRC Reporting Template: Access to Energy
Module 4: Adaptation Pillar
- 4.1 Introducing Adaptation Terminology
- 4.2 SEACAP development process: Adaptation Pillar
- 4.3 Phase 1: Adaptation Pillar Initiation
- 4.4 What to include in a Risk and Vulnerability Assessment
- 4.4.1 Participatory Mapping
- 4.5 Participatory mapping of local vulnerabilities
- 4.6 Setting an Adaptation Goal and Target
- 4.7 JRC Reporting Template: Adaptation
Click below to download the overview document with links to access the individual modules.