Call for proposals for CoM SSA video project
Terms of Reference
Opportunity closing date:
Friday, 12 April 2019
The Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR) is inviting consultant videographers with relevant experience and skills to submit their expression of interest to produce a series of videos to enhance the visibility of the Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA) project.
Experienced video producers are invited to submit a short proposal containing a portfolio of their video production work, individual/ team resume, and an estimated budget for producing a series of short videos as outlined in the following Terms of Reference. The proposal should include a general quotation including cost for video shooting & editing, as well as any additional costs such as travel, visa, insurance, accommodation, music, voiceover recording, subtitling/translations into French and Portuguese.
CoM SSA is an initiative founded and funded by the European Union (EU) to support Sub-Saharan Africa cities in their fight against climate change and ensuring access to clean energy, through a voluntary commitment. It is a bottom-up initiative that allows cities to define and meet ambitious and realistic targets set by themselves in line with the covenant methodology. CoM SSA is a consortium of 10 organisations coordinated by the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR). The partners include; Agence Française de Maitrise de l’Energie (ADEME), Agencia para a Energia (ADENE), United Cities and Local Governments Africa (UCLG Africa) Climate Alliance, ENDA Energie, Energy Cities, ICLEI Africa, ICLEI World Secretariat, Association Internationale des Maires Francophones (AIMF) and Sustainable Energy Africa (SEA). Visit CoM SSA website for more information.
The consultant’s primary role would be to produce a package of two sets of video products and photos: (i) 1 trailer video (ii) a series of 3-4 impact videos delivered in a publishable format and (iii) 120+ photos for CoM SSA website and CoM SSA social networks.
Description of main products expected:
- Trailer video
A short video of not more than 2 minutes to promote the initiative to the wider audience in simple words and in general terms, to attract new signatories. It will present the project as a whole and include some statements from mayor’s interviews, from CoM SSA partners (in the EU and in Africa), from other stakeholders (DEVCO, European Delegation, civil society, UN Habitat and other international development agencies involved in the initiative), and from citizens or beneficiaries of the project in the selected cities.
- Impact videos
A series of 3 or 4 videos that present tangible results from selected cities in Africa. Depending on the agreed format with CEMR, the videos could either present similar projects of several cities or present one city per video. Each video will last no longer than 5 minutes.
- High quality photos: Take 120+ professional photos from the field for use in promoting CoM SSA.
Filming will take place in 3-5 of the following pre-selected cities: Nouakchott (Mauritania), Dakar & Pikine (Senegal), Monrovia (Liberia), Tsévié (Togo), Yaoundé (Cameroon), Abidjan, Cocody & Bouaké (Cote d’Ivoire). The final selection will be agreed upon by CEMR and the service provider based on availability of cities to receive the video team.
- Produce 3-5 videos as specified in the Terms of Reference. The production work shall include developing the script and storyboard with CEMR, and creating and editing the video accordingly.
- Take a minimum of 120 high quality professional photos from the field (including at CoM SSA supported project sites) for CoM SSA website and social networks. Photos will be provided in JPEG or any other agreed format.
- Videos will be in English and French and each version will include subtitles of the voice over in the video in English or French and in Portuguese.
- Coordinate a voice-over service, including voice-over artists for the professional service delivery.
- Collaborate with CEMR and CoM SSA Secretariat in editing and otherwise reviewing the video prior to the completion.
- Communicate regularly with CEMR and CoM SSA Secretariat to share progress of the work, check details of the script, clarify queries and obtain further information.
- Submit to CEMR portfolio of the final videos together with script for the voice over, subtitles, infographic images, an audio file(s) of the voice recording, and other raw files needed for editing in the future.
- The products will need to be delivered in a publishable format for CoM SSA website and CoM SSA social networks.
- Videos will have to meet the requirements of the European Union (EU) visibility rules, including the EU disclaimer and the mention of that the project is funded by the EU.
The maximum budget will be 40,000 EUR and will cover all the expenses incurred by the video team (2 persons maximum), including conception, production, editing, travel and accommodation, visa, local transport. Travel and accommodation expenses incurred by CoM SSA Communication Coordinator will be covered separately.
The video team will propose a financial offer and will be awarded a lump sum. No additional budget will be available for unforeseen expenses.
Support provided by CEMR
The video team or consultant will be accompanied by CoM SSA Communication Officer, who will be in charge of contacting the different stakeholders (city staff, mayors, CSO organisations, etc.), setting meetings, organise site visits and support the video team with logistics (transport, communication) on the field.
The CoM SSA team in Brussels will support the video team throughout the contract.
Field visits of 2-3 weeks (in May 2019)
The video team shall prepare a program in cooperation with CEMR. The field trip should be organised as a round trip to the selected cities.
How to apply
Interested bidders shall submit their bids (narrative and financial) no later than midnight, Friday, 12 April 2019 by email to Daniela.GodinhoLourenco@ccre-cemr.org. All bidders shall be notified about the outcome of the selection process. Experienced service providers that make concrete and realistic proposals will be given priority. You can ask questions by email or by phone (+32 2 842 45 51).
Interested service providers should submit:
- A detailed proposal explaining how the video will be created, including a timeline, storyboard and proposals for video shootings.
- Examples of similar videos/photos already produced.
- A list of previous clients and a certificate of satisfaction where possible.
- Proof of company registration (for companies registered in the EU submit copy of registration, VAT, etc.).
- A financial offer not exceeding 40,000 EUR, travel expenses and indirect cost included.
- Deadline for completing the work: by 28 June 2019.
For more information, please download the Terms of Reference