About the initiative
1st Floor NALAG HOUSE,
Okponglo – South Legon, Behind Gulf House.
P.M.B. CT 510 Cantonment, Accra Ghana.
Tel : +233 (0) 540125686
E-mail : email@example.com
Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA) initiative supports Sub-Saharan cities in their fight against climate change and in their efforts in ensuring access to clean energy. Started in 2015, the initiative is shaped by local authorities for the local authorities to reflect the local context and specifics.
Under the CoM SSA local authorities are invited to make a voluntarily political commitment to implement climate and energy actions in their communities and agree on a long-term vision to tackle 3 pillars, namely access to energy, climate mitigation and climate adaptation.
In order to translate the political commitment into practical measures, CoM SSA signatories commit to produce and implement a Sustainable Energy Access and Climate Action Plan (SEACAP).
Benefits of joining the initiative are numerous. Here below a snapshot of the opportunities:
- Gain access to best practices and take part in knowledge exchanges while reinforcing planning capacities in the initiative’s domains.
- Use general and technical support on climate and energy planning via the Covenant of Mayors Office Helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Engage in networking opportunities with other cities (peer to peer exchange) in Sub-Saharan Africa and beyond, developing decentralized cooperation mechanisms.
- Increase international visibility for Sub-Saharan Africa local governments’ climate and energy actions.
- Build a sustainable and resilient city that contributes to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and more.
CoM SSA is part of the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy (GCoM) – the largest coalition of cities committed to local climate and energy action.
More information can be found at: